Thursday, December 26, 2013

Discerning God’s Will (part 2)

A couple of posts ago, I told the first of two stories that illustrate some important things I have learned about discerning God’s will. This is the second story. I’ll post again a third time to explain my view of God’s will and how we make decisions as believers.


Story #2: Engineering, Youth Ministry, or the FBI?

Summer began, and I had it all. A recently acquired master’s degree. A full-time consulting job that paid very, very well and a part-time job I enjoyed on the weekends. A church plant that I loved and friends I enjoyed. A spacious rental house and a roommate who was easy to live with. A gym five minutes from the house and Stone Mountain Park ten minutes away. By the end of August, I had . . . well, I still had my friends and my master’s degree, and SMP was still open.

After nearly half the church members moved out of state, the church plant dissolved in June. In July, I lost both jobs in the same week. In August, my landlord called to inform me that he had sold the house. I had a month to vacate. Even my gym closed the next week. I no longer had any financial ties or commitments in Atlanta.

Finding no jobs that fit me in the Atlanta area, I began to accept that I would soon leave a city I loved. Really, Lord? Am I this hardheaded? Some people need a two-by-four upside the head to get the point across. Did I really require this four-by-four?

As quickly as my stability had crumbled, three new job options arose in different states. A pastor from my hometown had offered me a youth pastor position earlier in the year. I called him, and the job was still available. I had led a retreat for the youth group in June, so I already knew the teens. I drove to MS to interview, and they offered me the job.

My boss at the consulting firm gave me a lead on an industrial engineering job in South Carolina. I would have full charge of redesigning this company’s distribution center—any industrial engineer’s dream—and a very nice starting salary. They narrowed it down to a 20-year veteran in the field and me, a young guy with a year-and-a-half experience. They offered me the job.

Then on family vacation, my dad met an FBI agent on the beach. When the agent heard about my situation, he said the FBI was looking for people my age with my background in psychology. When I met him, he gave me his contact info and offered to be a resource if I needed help during the application process.

In three months, I went from having my life neatly ordered to having no long-term stability to choosing from three dizzyingly diverse job options: youth ministry in MS, engineering in SC and potentially heading to Quantico, VA to become an FBI agent.

How does one make such a decision? Of course, I wanted to know God’s will, so I listened for all the ways He normally speaks to me. I spent much time in the Word and in prayer and sought wisdom from trusted friends and family. Yet in all three of those ways of discerning God’s will, I found many benefits and few drawbacks to every job option. The next few weeks, God refused to make His will clear to me. My anxiety about having no job or prospects turned into anxiety about discerning the right job to accept. I genuinely wanted to obey God, so why wouldn’t He show me what to do?

Eventually, a friend asked me what I wanted to do. For the first time, I considered the possibility that God was handing me three good options from which to choose, willing to bless me and use me to grow His kingdom in whichever career direction I chose. Reflecting on this, I realized God was confronting my tendency to use Him as a crutch to avoid responsibility. Submission to God's will is a good thing. But I wanted Him to tell me what to do, so I would have to own neither the responsibility for making a decision nor the results of that decision.

What did I want? Part-time youth ministry in a small town? Financial security as an engineer? The ability to carry a gun, run polygraphs and tell the ladies (in a deep, manly voice), “I’m an FBI agent.”? The choice was mine. I owned the responsibility, made my decision and never looked back. God’s refusal to be my crutch forced me to grow as a man and as an adult.

When you seek God’s will, what motivations do you find in your heart beyond the good and sincere desire to obey Him? (You might discern this by considering what you worry about when faced with a decision.)

No comments:

Post a Comment