Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Greater Context


An excerpt from my journal entry this Sunday:

God is up to something. He has been stirring my heart today. I am seeing myself in the greater context in a fresh way.

It started in the shower this morning. I enjoy long, hot showers. They wake me up every morning (the reason I don't need coffee before lunch) and sooth my aching joints and sore muscles after athletic events. For me hot showers are among life's little pleasures. I expressed to God my gratitude for hot running water.

Then I thought of the family I spent a night with in Honduras during a mission trip. Their shower was a hose from an external faucet stuck through a hole in the bathroom wall. Those people don't have hot running water. They have never experienced the bliss of a hot shower. I was struck by the realization that I have come to consider hot showers a basic necessity of life. They are not.

On my way to church I noticed that my car is only a few miles away from 100k. I reflected on how far I travel in a year's time and wondered what it would be like not to have a car. Many people in ATL don't have their own vehicles. Many cultures today still exist with few or no vehicles. People have lived throughout the ages without such modes of transportation just as they have survived without running water
much less hot showers.

At church we saw a presentation on Redeemer, Trinity's daughter church in Vine City, which is one of the five most dangerous zip codes in the US. A number of Trinity members moved there to become part of that neighborhood and show them that they are not simply a project to Trinity. They live among them and can now say, "Your dangerous schools and parks are our dangerous schools and parks. We are committed to you and invested in sharing the love of Christ with you."
The story of Redeemer gripped my heart.

They have a monthly worship service in the neighborhood and plan to launch Redeemer with weekly services this spring. I am single with no kids and few responsibilities. It occurred to me that I could feasibly move there to become part of that mission. For me it would be a relatively small sacrifice, and I would take great joy in bringing the message of hope in Christ and a Larger Story in which to live to a group of people who desperately need more than this world to live for. And I now have more income that could be used for Kingdom purposes than I have had in the last five years. Who knows what God might do.

Before Kris spoke a word of the sermon on resurrection, God was already deepening my conviction and awareness that my life is about much more than me. It is about much more than building a successful career doing what I love, preparing financially for retirement, finding a wife (for my own happiness) with whom I could start a family and raise children. My life is ultimately about the eternal ripples that result from the splash of my presence in this world. It is about Jesus revealing His heart through me, offering life and hope to a world that is dead and hopeless without Him.

Kris challenged us at the end of his sermon to live in such a way that our transition into eternity is seamless because we have already been living in it. May my attachments to the things of this world grow dim and the light of Christ shine eternity into my heart with increasing brightness and brilliance. May it spill over into others in my life in a way that transforms them as well.

Please leave a comment. I'd love to hear how you see your life in a greater context than your own comfort or happiness.



6 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea to initiate this blog, Brian! Thanks for sharing your thoughts along the spiritual journey. I also keep notes here and there, but haven’t got the courage to make them public. You are right - “God is up to something”.

    Each of us is trained differently along the journey. I do not read my Bible everyday (shame on me!), but God knows how to draw my heart close to Him - through trials and hardships. After tasting the sourness and bitterness, each time when I open the Bible, I find comfort and peace in the words.

    Your “Greater Context” reminds me of James 4:14,
    “What is your life?
    You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.”

    Well, let’s all face it - the brutal truth. Again, I have learned it the hard way by witnessing a loved one passing away during my pursuit of “worldly success”, which was initially motivated by the thought of making that person happy and proud. What is left in my life when there is no one in this world I can dedicate my success to or bring happiness to? What is my life?

    My life is never about me, and it’s not for me either. He has planted the seed in me and I believe one day, He intends to use me for achieving something magnificent (much greater and higher than if it was me who had planned out my life journey).

    I gradually accept the fact that God wants me to learn important lessons the hard way. By His grace, I become stronger and more appreciative of every little things and persons showing up in my life. After connecting all the dots, I suddenly realize the meaning behind the entire “break-me-and-mold-me” process: He has been preparing me through all these difficult times for a greater purpose; for me to fulfill that purpose, I ought to have a strong heart and a peaceful mind, regardless of whatever challenges that lie ahead of me! God’s people need to be ready.

    For me there is no comfort zone, nor a moment I have felt life is at ease. I should probably read my Bible every day to see if God will train me differently. Yes, indeed! Whichever way He chooses to guide me, I will simply obey and follow. As a final response to your “see life in a greater context” request, I portrait my life as a working-in-progress piece of art from my Maker and also my Redeemer; only through His work in me, my life has meaning. I am His. Along this journey, may He use me in my everyday life and shape my character to be more like Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sophia, for your kind words and thoughtful comment. I hear your hunger for God to work His eternal purposes through you and your desire to have an impact rather than to live for yourself. I have no doubt that He is using difficult times to prepare you for a greater purpose and intends to use you for "achieving something magnificent." Having caught a glimpse of your heart here, my guess is that He is already doing both on a regular basis.

    I was recently struck by feedback from a close friend this weekend. He said that, by watching me engage God over pain in my life, he has come to see God more as a real person with whom He can interact. You never know what He is up to as other people watch how you live your life and see God at work in you.

    Thanks also for sharing that verse from James 4. It was the perfect verse for what we're talking about here. In fact, that whole chapter is a warning against worldliness. James says in verse 4 that friendship with the world is enmity with God. As I become more aware that my life is but a temporary mist in a much greater context, I am convicted of how deeply I have befriended the world, especially comfort. I am growing increasingly committed to forsaking this friendship for something much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your encouraging words, Brian! I’m so fortunate that we are not alone on the spiritual journey. He is at work in transforming our hearts; meanwhile, hearing from the stories of how we interact with God and overcome difficulties, we find each other accountable as Godly brothers and sisters.

    Confucius said: "In a group of three people, there is always something I can learn from. Choose to follow the strengths of others, use the shortcomings to reflect upon ourselves." Therefore, I believe our communication and reflection on scriptures as well as our thoughts together is a great start. Thank you for pointing to James 4. Once again, I went back and read the entire chapter. Verse 7 says submit yourselves to God and then verse 10 reads humble yourselves before the Lord. Oftentimes, I wonder where my happiness lies and what my purpose is in life. In pursuit of happiness and purpose (either worldly or spiritually), was there a moment in time you found it hard to submit to God and stay humble? How did you use God’s wisdom to discern your will and God’s will so that you wholeheartedly submitted all of your own will to Christ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Confucius quote. Hadn’t heard that one before. Regarding your wondering where your happiness lies and what your purpose is in life: broadly speaking, I think those are one and the same. I agree with John Piper when he says, “God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.” I, too, am a Christian hedonist who believes that our deepest joy/satisfaction/contentment is found in glorifying God by fulfilling our purpose. Or put another way: our purpose is to find our deepest joy in Him. From a heart satisfied in our Savior flows a life that reflects His heart for the people in our lives.

    You asked if there was a moment in time where I found it hard to submit to God and stay humble. First, thank you for your assumption that I am humble. ;) I want to clarify to make sure I answer the question you are asking. Are you wrestling with questions of direction—such as career and relationship decisions—and seeking to discern the difference between what you want and God’s will?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can’t agree with you more on the idea of where to look for eternal happiness and deepest purpose in life. I like the way you describe yourself - a Christian hedonist. This is aligned with Gal 2:20 in that “it is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me.” How to lead a life to reflect His life and glorify His name becomes crucial. I pray for a humble and thirsty heart to seek and follow Him every day, so that He lives in me and fills my heart with love, patience, and care for others. May that thirst never cease.

      You are also right about the question I was asking. In regard to all important questions of life direction, such as career and relationship decisions, the scriptures teach us a lot about being patient and waiting for the Lord, instead of taking immediate actions. Based on your own experience, would you mind sharing your story of humbly seeing His guidance to discern your will and God’s will, as well as the outcomes afterwards?

      Delete
  5. That's a great question, Sophia, an important one that we all face. I've decided to devote a couple of posts to it. I'll tell a personal story in each that illustrates something I've learned about discerning God's will, and I posted the first one tonight.

    ReplyDelete